Monday 16 June 2008

Andrew Lloyd Webber - Three Boys Win Chance To Play Oliver On Id Do Anything

Gwion, Harry and Laurence have been named as the three boys chosen to play Oliver on I'd Do Anything.

After weeks of intense competition, a trio of young thespians have been picked to take the role of Dickens' orphan boy in Sir Cameron Mackintosh's upcoming Oliver! revival.

The successful three were picked from the final eight Oliver semi-finalists with Chester, Arthur, Kwayedza, Alexander and Jonny missing out after the group had performed Tomorrow from Annie.

Gwion, 11, from Carmarthenshire, said the wait to find out whether he had been picked to take the West End stage was "nerve-wracking".

"When I was told I was Oliver I was ecstatic!" he added. "I couldn't quite believe it and I thought I was dreaming. My mum gave me the biggest hug ever and I couldn't breathe!"

Twelve-year-old Harry, who was the sixth Oliver hopeful to be named as a semi-finalist, said he had dreamt for so long of winning the role that he couldn't believe the eventual verdict of Sir Andrew Lloyd Webber and Sir Cameron.

"It didn't sink in for a few minutes that I was actually going to be playing Oliver!" he explained.

And 11-year-old Laurence from Cheshire described his selection as "completely overwhelming".

Sir Cameron said some "terrific" talent had been unearthed on the show while Sir Andrew promised audiences that "whichever Oliver you go and see you're going to get a fantastic performance".

Just four hopefuls to play the role of Nancy remain, after Niamh Perry was eliminated from last week's show.


24/05/2008 19:50:00




See Also